Diuretics, also identified as h2o pills, are a prevalent therapy for superior blood strain. Locate out how they perform and when you may require them.
By Mayo Clinic Employees
Diuretics, in some cases identified as h2o pills, help rid your entire body of salt (sodium) and h2o. Most of these medications help your kidneys launch extra sodium into your urine. The sodium allows take away h2o from your blood, lowering the total of fluid flowing by way of your veins and arteries. This minimizes blood strain.
Examples of diuretics
There are three varieties of diuretics:
- Potassium sparing
Just about every variety of diuretic affects a distinctive section of your kidneys. Some pills mix extra than just one variety of diuretic or mix a diuretic with an additional blood strain medication.
Which diuretic is finest for you relies upon on your wellbeing and the condition remaining treated.
Examples of thiazide diuretics taken by mouth include things like:
Examples of loop diuretics include things like:
- Bumetanide (Bumex)
- Ethacrynic acid (Edecrin)
- Furosemide (Lasix)
- Torsemide (Soaanz)
Examples of potassium-sparing diuretics include things like:
- Amiloride (Midamor)
- Eplerenone (Inspra)
- Spironolactone (Aldactone, Carospir)
- Triamterene (Dyrenium)
When diuretics are employed
Thiazide diuretics are recommended as just one of the to start with drug therapies for superior blood strain.
If diuretics usually are not sufficient to lower your blood strain, your physician may include other blood strain drugs to your therapy prepare.
Diuretics are also employed to stop, take care of or strengthen signs and symptoms in men and women who have:
- Coronary heart failure
- Liver failure
- Tissue swelling (edema)
- Specific kidney problems, these kinds of as kidney stones
Diuretics are normally protected. Facet outcomes include things like amplified urination and sodium reduction.
Diuretics can also influence blood potassium levels. If you acquire a thiazide diuretic, your potassium level can fall too lower (hypokalemia), which can trigger lifetime-threatening problems with your heartbeat. If you are on a potassium-sparing diuretic, you can have too considerably potassium in your blood.
Other attainable facet outcomes of diuretics include things like:
- Head aches
- Muscle cramps
- Joint problems (gout)
Aug. thirteen, 2021
- Styles of blood strain drugs. American Coronary heart Affiliation. https://www.coronary heart.org/en/wellbeing-topics/superior-blood-strain/improvements-you-can-make-to-handle-superior-blood-strain/varieties-of-blood-strain-drugs. Accessed July 12, 2021.
- Mann JFE. Alternative of drug therapy in principal (crucial) hypertension. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/lookup. Accessed June twenty five, 2019.
- Cifu AS, et al. Avoidance, detection, analysis and management of superior blood strain in adults. JAMA. 201718:2132.
- Brater DC, et al. Mechanism of motion of diuretics. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/lookup. Accessed June twenty five, 2019.
- Drug file: Diuretics. National Institutes of Health. https://livertox.nlm.nih.gov/Diuretics.htm. Accessed June twenty five, 2019.
- Reboussin DM, et al. Systematic critique for the 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA guideline for the prevention, detection, analysis, and management of superior blood strain in adults: A report of the American Higher education of Cardiology/American Coronary heart Affiliation Undertaking Force on Clinical Follow Recommendations. Circulation. 2018138:e595.
- Aronson JK. Diuretics. In: Meyler’s Facet Effects of Medicines. 16th ed. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 12, 2021.
- Whelton PK, et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA guideline for the prevention, detection, analysis, and management of superior blood strain in adults: A report of the American Higher education of Cardiology/American Coronary heart Affiliation Undertaking Force on Clinical Follow Recommendations. Hypertension. 201871:e13.
See extra In-depth