Print & Share (PDF – 1.2MB)
Learn security ideas to guard you and your spouse and children when making ready meals that incorporate flour.
Flour is a uncooked food stuff. It might not appear like a uncooked food stuff, but it usually is, just like clean tomatoes or carrots. The grains from which flour is ground are developed in fields and, like all meals developed outdoors, they might be uncovered to a wide variety of harmful micro organism like Salmonella and pathogenic Escherichia coli (E. coli).
- Flours most frequently utilised in dwelling baking and cooking are created right from uncooked grains.
- Processing uncooked grains into flour does not eliminate harmful micro organism.
- Numerous meals created with flour also incorporate uncooked eggs, which might incorporate harmful micro organism.
- Cooking is the only way to be sure that meals created with flour and uncooked eggs are risk-free.
- Under no circumstances take in or style uncooked flour, dough, or batter.
Because 2009 there have been a number of outbreaks of foodborne illness involving uncooked flour or uncooked flour-containing products like cake mixes and cookie dough. These have resulted in 168 recognised diseases and 20 hospitalizations.
Verify out this checklist of DO’s and DON’Ts to help preserve you and your spouse and children risk-free when handling uncooked flour.
- DO abide by offer directions on baking mixes and other flour containing products for accurate cooking temperatures and specified moments.
- DO preserve all uncooked meals, like flour and eggs, independent from ready-to take in meals. Keep in mind, flour is a powder and spreads very easily.
- DO refrigerate cookie and pastry dough according to offer directions. Use a fridge thermometer to be sure your fridge is at a risk-free 40°F.
- DO cleanse up meticulously soon after doing work with flour or uncooked dough and eggs:
- Wash hands completely with cleaning soap and operating h2o, and,
- Wash utensils, bowls, baking pans and cutting boards, and countertops with heat, soapy h2o.
- DO NOT take in or make it possible for kids to take in or enjoy with uncooked dough products created with any brand of flour or baking mix before cooking.
- DO NOT preserve recalled flour. Throw it away.
- DO NOT let kids use uncooked dough for crafts or enjoy clay.
- DO NOT use products that incorporate uncooked flour, like cake mix to make milkshakes.
- DO NOT use uncooked cookie dough in ice product (the cookie dough in ice product offered in outlets has been taken care of to eliminate harmful micro organism).