Man Dies From Eating Too Much Black Licorice
THURSDAY, Sept. 24, 2020 (HealthDay News) — A Massachusetts gentleman died from taking in too substantially black licorice, medical practitioners say.
The fifty four-year-previous design employee ate a bag and fifty percent every day for a several weeks, which led to an imbalance in his body’s vitamins and minerals that induced his heart to end, according to the scenario examine in the New England Journal of Medicine, the Associated Press described.
“Even a small sum of licorice you try to eat can raise your blood force a little bit,” stated Dr. Neel Butala, a cardiologist at Massachusetts Standard Clinic who was associated in the scenario.
Black licorice incorporates glycyrrhizic acid, which can cause dangerously low amounts of potassium and imbalances in other minerals known as electrolytes, the AP described.
Consuming just 2 ounces of black licorice a day for two weeks could cause a heart rhythm problem, primarily for people today older than 40, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Copyright © 2019 HealthDay. All legal rights reserved.