What Is Nearsightedness?
Nearsightedness (myopia) is a vision challenge that tends to make it challenging to see distant objects plainly.
What Are the Indicators & Symptoms of Nearsightedness?
Young ones with nearsightedness may well:
- have blurred vision when searching at matters that are not shut to them
- keep books, toys, or other objects nearer to their confront than normal
- squint their eyes or blink a good deal
- have difficulty reading through words and phrases on a chalkboard at university
What Causes Nearsightedness?
Nearsightedness occurs when mild that enters the eye focuses in front of the retina instead of straight on it. This produces blurry vision in the distance.
It occurs much more generally in university-age young children, in particular preteens and teens. Nearsightedness can operate in people.
How Is Nearsightedness Identified?
An eye medical professional can notify if your little one is nearsighted. They will do a plan test that usually incorporates:
- inquiring about indications
- taking a household health-related background
- employing dilating eye drops to thoroughly open up the pupils
- analyzing the eyes
How Is Nearsightedness Treated?
The eye medical professional will prescribe eyeglasses or make contact with lenses to assist your little one see plainly.
How Can Parents Support?
To assist just take care of your child’s eyes:
- Get eyeglasses (or make contact with lenses if advised). Permit your little one assist pick out the frames. Plastic frames and polycarbonate lenses are most effective for young young children.
- Support with make contact with lenses. If your little one is outdated enough and the eye medical professional thinks contacts are a excellent selection, assist your little one stick to all recommendations on wearing and cleaning them.
- Go to stick to-up visits with the eye medical professional.
- Speak with your medical professional about myopia handle. New therapy possibilities can assist sluggish the development of myopia in kids.
- Get in touch with the medical professional if your little one has new indications, including:
- head aches or eye pain
- blurry vision when wearing eyeglasses or contacts
- viewing flashing lights or floating places
- any reduction of vision
- If your little one wears contacts, contact the medical professional for indications this kind of as:
- eye pain or redness
- superior sensitivity to mild
- itchy or dry eyes that do not get greater with eye drops
Date reviewed: November 2020