Chromated arsenicals, which consists of chromated copper arsenate (CCA), is a team of pesticides containing chromium, copper, and/or arsenic that shield wooden towards termites, fungi and other pests that can degrade or threaten the integrity of wooden products. Chromated arsenicals-addressed wooden is utilised to deliver business wooden shake, shingles, permanent foundation aid beams and other wooden products permitted by authorized labeling. EPA is at the moment reevaluating all chromated arsenicals as aspect of the Registration Overview application (see Docket Range EPA-HQ-OPP-2015-0349 at https://www.polices.gov).
Fundamental Information and facts
- Chromated arsenicals has been utilised as a wooden preservative pesticide considering that the forties.
- Chromated arsenicals pesticides are applied employing specialized higher-stress devices in wooden cure amenities by certified pesticide applicators only.
- Prior to 2004, wooden addressed with chromated arsenicals was utilised in household structures these types of as decks and playsets.
- In December 2003, chromated arsenicals producers voluntarily discontinued producing chromated arsenicals-addressed wooden products for homeowner utilizes.
- Nevertheless, EPA has not banned chromated arsenicals and does not involve the removing of existing structures produced with wooden addressed with chromated arsenicals or the surrounding soil.
- If you have an older deck or other composition produced with chromated arsenicals-addressed wooden, making use of a penetrating protective coating (these types of as oil- or h2o-based stains) on a common foundation could lessen the leaching of chemical compounds.
- Alternatives to chromated arsenicals-addressed wooden involve the next:
- Wood addressed with other preservatives authorized by EPA
- Wood-different and composite components and
- Species of wooden that are resistant to pests.
Disposing of Goods Dealt with with Chromated Arsenicals Securely
- Despite the fact that chromated arsenicals pesticide products are not readily available to property owners, people today could come upon wooden addressed with chromated arsenicals in a household placing (e.g., existing addressed structures).
- Reuse of chromated arsenicals-addressed wooden is not topic to regulation by EPA under pesticide rules.
- If property owners will need to dispose of chromated arsenicals-addressed wooden, it can typically be disposed of by regular trash collection (i.e., as municipal reliable squander)
- Nevertheless, state and local governments could have specific assistance or guidelines for disposing of addressed wooden, so you should check with your state or local squander management application.
- Wood addressed with chromated arsenicals must not be reused in products these types of as mulch.
- Do not melt away CCA or other preservative-addressed wooden in a household placing to avoid achievable inhalation of harmful chemical compounds in the smoke and ash.
- Put on goggles and a dust mask when sawing wooden addressed with chromated arsenicals, and wash your fingers after handling.
- The Source Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) is the federal regulation that makes the framework for the appropriate management and disposal of harmful and nonhazardous reliable squander.
Additional Information and facts
Prime of Webpage