There’s nothing like a big bowl of hot and yummy soup when the weather turns cold or you’re not feeling well. If you want a nutrient-dense bowl of yumminess, then this Loaded Chicken Vegetable Soup recipe is going to hit the spot!
This Loaded Chicken Vegetable Soup comes directly from my Eat to Achieve meal plan (we are currently using this plan in our November 28th Cycle 1 Challenge) and I’m excited for the new members to experience this recipe!
I’m not typically a huge fan of tomatoes in my soup, but they are definitely necessary in this recipe!
The recipe does call for a can of diced tomatoes and you’ll definitely want to use the juices as it really makes the dish rich in flavor!
This yummy Loaded Chicken Vegetable Soup is ideal for weight loss for both the 17 Day Diet and 17 Day Kickstart Diet.
You’ll make a minor change for the Kickstart Diet if you’re planning on eating this from day 1, so keep reading!
Loaded Chicken Vegetable Soup Ingredients
When I named this recipe, I knew that “Loaded” had to be used in the title because that’s exactly how I describe this soup when I talk about the ingredients needed to make it.
Here are a few of the basic ingredients you’ll need to make this soup:
- Celery Stalks
- Garlic Cloves
- Dried Basil or use your favorite herbs
- Can Diced Tomatoes with Juice
- Low-sodium Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Chicken breasts
- Green Beans
Which Cycle of the 17 Day Diet Is This Recipe Approved For?
If you’re on the 17 Day Diet, the good news is this Loaded Chicken Vegetable Soup is approved for all cycles! No changes are necessary to make this compliant as it was created for Cycle 1 as a part of my Eat to Achieve meal plan!
What Changes are Necessary for the 17 Day Kickstart Diet?
If you’re trying Dr. Mike’s new 17 Day Kickstart Diet, this soup recipe is approved as-is for both the 4-Day Soak Up and 10-Day Stabilize Phase.
If you want to enjoy this yummy soup during the first phase (3-Day Scrub), then you’ll need to omit the carrots (or maybe eat less of them during the first three days).
If you’re not exactly sure which food items are allowed in each phase, make sure you take a peek at the 17 Day Kickstart Diet Food List.
Keto Loaded Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe
This yummy low carb recipe can nearly be used as-is if you’re on the Keto Diet.
Depending on your macros and how strict Keto you are, if you’re not too concerned with carrots or onions, then it’s fine to leave them in. However, if your macros don’t allow for the extra carbs, best to leave them out.
Ingredient Substitutions or Additions
If you’re not a fan of some of the ingredients, you can easily swap out for your favorite veggies. Here are a few that you may add or use as substitutions in this Loaded Chicken Vegetable Soup recipe.
Substitutions for Cabbage
- Collard Greens
Substitutions or Additions for the Vegetables:
Additions of Grains/Legumes:
If you’re in Cycles 2 or 3 and want to make this an even heartier soup, consider adding in the following:
- Brown Rice
- Basmati Rice (or any long grain rice)
- Beans (black, butter, kidney, etc)
Starch Additions for Cycle 3 of the 17 Day Diet
If you’re in cycle 3 and want to add some starchy veggies or grains, consider adding in the following:
- Approved pasta such as whole wheat or vegetable based
Other Low Carb Soup Recipes
If you’re a soup junkie and want more low carb soup recipes like this one, make sure you check out the following:
If you make this Loaded Chicken Vegetable Soup, I’d love for you to come back and review the recipe card below.
Plus, if you’re on social media, tag me @17ddblog and show me your bowl of yummy soup! Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 Carrots, sliced
- 2 Celery Stalks, Sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or more to taste) or use your favorite herbs
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 small chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- Olive oil
- 1 Cup Diced Green Beans (Fresh, Frozen or canned)
- 2 Cups Cabbage, shredded or chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pot on medium high.
- Add the diced onion, carrots and celery to the pot. Saute for about 3 to 4 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Next, add the minced garlic and dried basil and saute for 30 seconds.
- Next, add the diced tomatoes with juice, broth, cooked chicken, and salt and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes or so.
- Finally, add the diced green beans and cabbage to the soup during the last 10 minutes of cooking until they are warmed through.
17 Day Diet – all cycles
17 Day Kickstart Diet – Soak Up and Stabilize Phase (omit carrots if you want to use in Scrub Phase)
Keto Diet – be mindful of carrots and onions and omit if your macros don’t allow for them
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’ve been loving the 17 Day Diet since 2011. I love sharing my favorite healthy recipes and meal plans to keep you motivated and on the right path to success!
When I’m not hanging out here, I enjoy quick trips to the Oregon Coast, designing my jewelry line and watching Outlander!
Are you new to the 17 Day Diet? Check out my latest book, Fast Track Your Weight Loss With The 17 Day Diet on Amazon! (aff link)