Prenatal testing: Fast tutorial to common tests
Prenatal screening tests can offer data about your baby’s health before he or she is born. Contemplate the timing and what prenatal testing can reveal.
By Mayo Clinic Staff members
Prenatal testing is presented in all pregnancies. Here is an overview of common prenatal screening tests:
|What it is||When it really is carried out||What the benefits could possibly inform you||Stick to-up|
|Mobile-no cost DNA (cfDNA) screening|
|Blood test||As early as 7 days ten||Chance of Down syndrome (trisomy 21), trisomy eighteen and trisomy thirteen and fetal sex||Probable invasive testing, this sort of as chorionic villus sampling or amniocentesis|
|1st trimester screening|
|Blood test and ultrasound||11-fourteen weeks||Chance of Down syndrome (trisomy 21) and trisomy eighteen||Probable invasive testing, this sort of as chorionic villus sampling or amniocentesis mobile-no cost DNA screening may well also be considered|
|Quad display screen|
|Blood test||fifteen-22 weeks||Chance of Down syndrome (trisomy 21), trisomy eighteen and open up neural tube defects, this sort of as spina bifida||Probable specific ultrasound, or invasive testing this sort of as chorionic villus sampling or amniocentesis mobile-no cost DNA screening may well also be considered|
Some health treatment suppliers pick to blend the benefits of initially trimester screening with the quad display screen — while you will never master the final benefits of this sequential testing until eventually equally tests are accomplished and analyzed.
In addition, fetal ultrasound frequently performs an critical role in prenatal treatment and screening. Early in pregnancy, ultrasound can be used to confirm and day a pregnancy. Afterwards, ultrasound can be used to detect specific start defects and fetal anomalies, like neural tube defects.
Blood tests and ultrasounds pose constrained risks for you and your baby. If the benefits of a blood test or ultrasound are constructive or worrisome, your health treatment supplier could possibly suggest a much more invasive diagnostic test — this sort of as chorionic villus sampling or amniocentesis. These tests can be used to diagnose situations, but they carry a slight hazard of pregnancy loss.
If you’re involved about prenatal testing or surprise whether you require precise screening or diagnostic tests, focus on the risks and positive aspects with your health treatment supplier.Oct. 03, 2020
- Messerlian GM, et al. Initial trimester put together test and integrated tests for screening for Down syndrome and trisomy eighteen. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/research. Accessed Dec. five, 2018.
- Often asked questions. Pregnancy FAQ133. Regimen tests in pregnancy. American Higher education of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. https://www.acog.org/People/FAQs/Regimen-Assessments-For the duration of-Pregnancy. Accessed Dec. five, 2018.
- Messerlian GM, et al. Down syndrome: Overview of prenatal screening. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/research. Accessed Dec. five, 2018.
- American Higher education of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee on Apply Bulletins — Obstetrics, Committee on Genetics, and the Modern society for Maternal-Fetal Drugs. Apply Bulletin No. 163: Screening for fetal aneuploidy. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2016127:e123.
- AskMayoExpert. Prenatal screening: Styles of screening tests. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Basis for Healthcare Education and Investigation 2018.
- Often asked questions. Particular treatments FAQ025. Ultrasound examinations. American Higher education of Obstetrics and Gynecology. https://www.acog.org/People/FAQs/Ultrasound-Exams. Accessed Dec. five, 2018.
See much more In-depth